Caravan parks in <span class="highlight">Dubbo</span>?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:15
ThreadID: 81912 Views:3596 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Gday...

We will be in Dubbo on Monday. Looking for a 'good' van park - one that suits 'grey nomads' insomuch that no bells and whistles, just clean and quiet.

Any other suggestions?

Julie & John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Lynne - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:32

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:32
We have never been impressed by CPs in Dubbo. On our last trip we stayed at Wellington Caves CP. It was terrific - plenty of space, well grassed, excellent amenities, ample shade if needed. It is very peaceful, well off the road near a golf course. The caves are interesting too. The chages were very reasonable. Well worth being that bit out of Dubbo. Wellington town is small but has the basics. The shop out at the caves is quite good. We will stop at the caves CP on any future trips that way. Lynne
AnswerID: 433093

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:54

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:54
We stayed two nights at Wellington Caves Park - very quiet and roomy grassy sites (although on a slight slope). The other alternative is Peak Hill. Wanting to get to the zoo early each day, we decided to stay in Dubbo.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 703913

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:46

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:46
Julie & John,
Last month we stayed at Big4. Very clean, friendly and safe. Camp kitchen is in the middle where we all used the bbq. Very good to have a chat with others.
We were there out of school holidays and the place was full of grey nomads. Some of the sites are a bit tight but everybody seemed to park their rigs easier enough.
Sharon
AnswerID: 433097

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:05

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:05
Nice park indeed Sharon, just don't be fooled by the huge fence around it....it is still not safe ;) We have had friend's cars broken into when we were there which is dissapointing as we believed it was far enough out of town central and well secured not to have any problems. The police weren't surprised though.

Would stay there again next time though, as it was clean and friendly.

Andrew
FollowupID: 703899

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:48

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:48
I agree also especially as we are talking about a full van.
You just need to be observant of security issues as you have observed Sharon and all is well. Bowling Club is just up the road as well for an evening meal if that is your preference.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 703985

Reply By: Wilko - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:48

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:48
There is one on the Parkes road opposite the Golf club. Not sure what it is like. Just be sure to keep an eye on security of belongings whilst in Dubbo as there is some petty theft.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 433099

Follow Up By: wato35 - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:58

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:58
agree with that last bit. I know a few people who had things pinched from thier cars there. But then again it happens everywhere.
FollowupID: 703896

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:00

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:00
Hi Julie and John

We took one look at the parks in Dubbo - all near highways and thought No Way.
Hence we found and stayed at a Terramungamine free campground 14 kms out of town and quite safe but flush toilets only and no water for campers. See recent threads on Terramungamine if you are interested.

Dubbo is one place that even the locals advise you to lock up everything well day and night.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 433112

Reply By: flashcher - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:02

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:02
Hi Julie & John,
We were out that way in July and stayed at the caravan park at Wellington Caves. As mentioned the facilities are not too bad - the only problem I had was there was no dry area in the shower cubicals to get dressed. Had to do the jig to avoid wetting my clothes.

We stayed out there due to posts on here mentioning the security issues in Dubbo - and as we have a Jayco wind-up camper, it is alot harder to secure than a caravan.

Michelle
AnswerID: 433115

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:59

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:59
Stay at Narromine, 40km west of Dubbo, very friendly town, quieter and far fewer problems than at Dubbo which are all noisy as they are on the Newell
AnswerID: 433166

Reply By: gonebush SA - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 21:36

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 21:36
hi, 2 years ago we stayed at a c/p in dubbo for a week, i can't remember the name of it but it was one of the cheaper ones and was on a highway that went north/ east i think, there was a swimming pool right on the highway and lots of units and permenants, and looked quite dodgy but went for a walk down the back to check it out first and down the hill a fair way from the road (so no road noise) was about 20 sites which were grass with trees and quite nice so we stayed and didn't have any trouble except the heat but from the front we nearly kept driving, sorry i can't think of the name, good luck and safe travels from chris.
AnswerID: 433405

Sponsored Links